In eighteen ninety, Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini traveled to New York City to serve the population of Italian emigrants to the United States. After being in New York for only a short time she was already planning to expand. Mother France bought a piece of property from the Society of Jesuits to serve as an orphanage for female Italian immigrant. The property included a monastery and working farm.
Because the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart is a begging order, the facility was funded through gifts and loans, not the Catholic Church.
Within weeks of opening the orphanage, the Sisters began accepting children from a variety of backgrounds from surrounding cities, and local communities.
Mother Cabrini passed away in 1917 and was buried on site, as she wished. Her body remained there until 1931, in which was move to the St. Frances Cabrini Shrine in New York City.
The property later served male and female patrons but eventually went back to a single sex facility in two thousand four. In this change the building seen here closed it’s doors.
The facility currently serves as a residential treatment facility for young women, as well as a substance abuse clinic.