July 6, 2013

Old St. Nick


Old St. Nick Coal Breaker
The Old St. Nicholas Breaker, located in PA. It was constructed in 1930 and began operating in 1932. Half of the village of Suffolk was relocated in order to create room for Reading Anthracite's Old St. Nicholas Breaker, the largest coal breaker in the world. 20 miles of railroad track were laid, 3,800 tons of steel and more than 10,000 cubic yards of concrete were used. A mile and a half of conveyor lines, 25 miles of conduit, 26,241 square feet of rubber belting, 118 miles of wire and cable and 20 miles of pipe were installed. When the breaker was constructed it was divided into two sides. Each side could be operated independently, producing 12,500 tons of coal a day. Once the raw coal enters the production process within the breaker it took just 12 minutes to pass through the entire breaker. For 31 years, the Old St. Nicholas Breaker prepared all sizes of famous Reading Anthracite for the markets of the world.

IMG_5370  

IMG_5292 

IMG_5279 

IMG_5334 

IMG_5282 

IMG_5328 

IMG_5319 

IMG_5310 

IMG_5298 

IMG_5367 

IMG_5364 

IMG_5346

IMG_5343

IMG_5262 

IMG_5373UC





Google

2 comments: